Friday, August 28, 2009

Moore Convert

Kathryn Masuda started working at the Garden 5 years ago. We were office mates at the start and had so much fun! Professionally, she has brought our school education programs to an entirely new level by developing the after-school program, kinder-in-the-garden (serving all kindergarteners in Atlanta!), a summer teacher institute, and much more. She is today's guest blogger...


"The best way to learn is to teach." - Frank Oppenheimer

I’ll admit it; I wasn’t initially excited about the Henry Moore exhibition at the Garden. The sculptures didn’t appeal to me in photographs. Although, after I walked around, felt and taught about the gigantic sculptures, I began to enjoy them. I love how graceful reclining figures lay among fabulous flowers and how many of the sculptures provide excellent look-out locations for birds (I doubt the people that clean the sculptures like that fact). The more I learn about Henry Moore and observe his works at the Garden the more I take pleasure in teaching children and docents about them.
Children provide many different perspectives, questions and observations about Henry Moore’s works. They will see different shapes and figures and want to touch and walk around them. Children can’t wait to tell you their interpretation of a sculpture and then make their very own masterpiece using clay or other natural objects. During my classes and tours, I try to encourage them to see the works from their own perspective. There is no incorrect answer or observation.
When conducting classes, tours or trainings, I think about the Henry Moore quote below:

[sculpture] must make you stop and look at it of its own accord irrespective of where it is. If it has an immediate explanation as to why it is there, the average person will see this, go away and lose interest. It is better if the sculpture should be of some challenge or of a mystery. I want sculpture that has lots of interpretations, like Hamlet. It is important that there be continued interpretations… People have an intrinsic interest in shapes. If a thing has ‘universal touch’ it will interest generations. (Elsen, ‘Henry Moore’s Reflection on Sculpture’, p. 354.)
Because of the classes I’ve taught and the wonderful children and docents that I’ve listened to, I’ve developed an appreciation and interest in Henry Moore and his magnificent works. Next time I see one of his works on display in a museum or public space, I’ll take time to see it through my own adult eyes and the eyes of all the insightful children I’ve learned from at the Garden. Below are some interesting interpretations that both I and my co-worker Laura Hennighausen heard from children during tours and classes. What do you see?
Two Piece Reclining Figure: Points - "The Titanic"

Hill Arches - "Pumpkin in a house"

Hill Arches - "Mouth getting ready to eat"


Goslar Warrior - "A man pushing a ball or a Star Wars Storm Trooper"

Large Reclining Figure - "Half bug, half human"

Three Piece Reclining Figure: Draped - "Giraffe "

Seated Woman - "Woman riding a buffalo"
Kathryn Byrnes Masuda, School and Outreach Program Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment